A Notice of Final Rulemaking issued on September 30, 2011 added two (2) new sections to the DC Municipal Regulations, Chapter 37 Barber and Cosmetology. Section 3730 refers to Continuing Education (CE) Requirements for Licensees and applies to DC Barber, Cosmetology and Specialty licensed practitioners. Details about Section 3730 can be found at: http://www.asisvcs.com/publications/pdf/670979.pdf.
“This rulemaking establishes continuing education (CE) requirements for applicants seeking to renew or reinstate a professional license approved by the Board of Barber and Cosmetology and establishes standards and administrative procedures for the approval of continuing education programs.”
DC Barber, Cosmetology or Specialty licensees must complete six (6) Continuing Education (CE) credits during each two (2) year cycle period to renew his/her license.
A practitioner renewing a license shall submit to the Board proof of having completed at least six (6) CE hours in an approved continuing education program or course during the term of the license.
- Courses related to the practice of barbering, cosmetology, and specialty cosmetology;
- District laws and regulations;
- Ethics and standards of professional practice;
- Occupational health, safety and welfare
- HIV/AIDS, communicable and infectious disease control;
- Product knowledge;
- Management (Managers only); and
- Education or Instruction (Instructors only).
- Classroom instruction
- Trade Shows
- Product Demonstrations
- Educational conferences
- Online classes (or Distance Learning classes)
- College or University
PLEASE NOTE – Continuing Education requirements apply to all Barber, Cosmetology or Specialty Cosmetology licenses, including Manager and Instructor licenses. **